What is metoprol tar?
Not Medical Advice: Metoprolol tartrate is a beta-adrenergic blocking agent (beta-blocker). It works by decreasing the amount of work the heart has to do (reduces chest pain) and the amount of blood the heart pumps out (lowers high blood pressure).
Metoprolol tartrate is also used to stabilize the heart rhythm in conditions in which the heart is in an irregular rhythm or beating too fast.
Metoprolol tartrate is used for curing high blood pressure, alone or with other drugs; long-term treatment of chest pain; and decreasing the risk of death because of heart problems in patients who have had a heart attack. It might also be used for other conditions as determined by your physician.
Get emergency medical assistance if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: Difficulty breathing; hives; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling of your feet or hands;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, itching, dark urine