What is a geropsychiatric hospital?
Not Medical Advice: Geropsychiatry is the study and treatment of psychiatric aspects of aging and mental disorders of elderly people or the functional/mental disorders of people in their 50s and 60s if they qualify. Hence, a geropsychiatric hospital would specialize in treating such patients.
Geriatric psychiatrists specialize in the treatment and diagnosis of mental health issues common in older patients. Certain mental illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, tend to happen later in life. Older patients also might be dealing with multiple problems such as:
- grief over the loss of a lifelong friend or spouse
- feelings of lack of purpose or isolation
- stress over financial matters
- fears of death or illness
- emotional problems related to health concerns (for instance, coping with pain or a cancer diagnosis)
- problems coping with changes around them
The Geriatric Mental Health Foundation provides you with the depression recovery tool kit, A Guide to Mental Wellness in Older Age: Recognizing and Overcoming Depression to help consumers, in partnership with their health care providers, identify and treat late-life depression.