Years ago there used to be a Fort Arnold. Fort Arnold was constructed in West Point, New York between 1778 and 1780. It was commanded, and named after, Benedict Arnold before he betrayed the Revolutionary Army and defected to the British. It was later renamed as Fort Clinton after General James Clinton, but after the war the fort was neglected and later demolished for expansion of the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Find out how Benedict Arnold commits treason at History.com.
General George Washington considered West Point to be the most important strategic position in America. Washington personally selected Thaddeus Kosciuszko, one of the heroes of Saratoga, to design the fortifications for West Point in 1778, and Washington transferred his headquarters to West Point in 1779. Continental soldiers built forts, batteries and redoubts and extended a 150-ton iron chain across the Hudson to control river traffic. Fortress West Point was never captured by the British, despite Benedict Arnold's treason. West Point is the oldest continuously occupied military post in America.
Read A Brief History of West Point at United States Military Academy.