How long does it take a new born baby squirrel to grow hair and open their eyes?
According to Squirrel Store, baby squirrels start to develop soft, reddish, sable hair around the nose and mouth at 5 to 10 days old. They will open their eyes between four to five weeks.
Guide on how to determine the age of a baby squirrel:
- 1 to 5 days - tiny, the size of a woman's thumb - knuckle to tip - and totally pink; no hair at all.
- 5 to 10 days - development of soft, reddish, sable hair around nose and mouth.
- 10 days to 2 weeks - a grayish purple shadow begins spreading over the head, shoulders, and back; the belly and legs are still bright pink.
- 2 to 3 weeks - grayish-purple color deepens until the emerging hair is long enough to be identified as hair.
- 3 weeks - the baby's lower front teeth begin emerging. Hair is now slick, smooth, and shiny. Still no hair on legs and belly.
- 4 weeks - has light grayish-brownish hair all over, except lower legs and belly and under tail. Some downy white hair beginning on belly and legs.
- 5 weeks - thicker hair, including legs and belly. Tail hair is short, straight, and lies parallel with the bone. Eyes open.
- 5 to 6 weeks - upper front teeth begin emerging. Begins curling tail over back.
- 6 to 7 weeks - fully furred, sleeping less with more active periods.
- 7 to 8 weeks - tail is fluffy. Should be placed in a cage with plenty of room to play.
- 8 to 9 weeks - looks like a miniature squirrel. Very active and shredding your sweaters, curtains, furniture, and arms with its claws. Has lost infant appearance.
- 9 to 10 weeks - develops more muscular physique.
- 10 to 12 weeks - about 3/4 full size
Learn more about caring for a baby squirrel here.
Check out some tips and advice for raising a baby squirrel at AnimalPetDoctor.com.
Some are getting ready for squirrel season. While many mountain hunters decry the loss of deer and grouse habitat, squirrel habitat continues to grow while the number of squirrel hunters dwindles. Read more at The Tribune Papers.