How long do i deep fry a 14 lb turkey and at what temp
Deep fry the turkey for 42-56 minutes (3-4 minutes per pound) in a preheated oil of 400°F.
Cook all dark meat to an internal temperature of 175°F to 180°F, and all white meat to an internal temperature of 165°F to 170°F.
Safety tips for deep frying turkey
(provided by PBS.org):
- Stay Away from The House – Set up the turkey fryer more than 10 feet away from your home and keep children and pets away. Never leave it unattended.
- Find Flat Ground – The oil must be even and steady at all times to ensure safety. Place the fryer on a flat, level surface and carefully gauge the amount of oil needed.
- Use a Thawed and Dry Turkey – Make sure your Thanksgiving turkey is completely thawed and dry. Extra water will cause the oil to bubble furiously and spill over. If oil spills from the fryer onto the burner, it can cause a fire.
- Monitor the Temp – Use caution when touching the turkey fryer. The lid and handle can become very hot and could cause burns. Also be sure to keep track of the oil’s temperature as many fryers do not have their own thermostats.
- Be Prepared – Have a fire extinguisher (multipurpose, dry-powder) ready at all times in the event that the oil ignites.
Get the best turkey recipes and ideas from FoodNetwork.com